Friday, December 14, 2012

5 Challenges for a Low Carb Shabbos

As a Kosher ketoer (or any Kosher dieter for that matter), we have a special challenge that no other dieter can really appreciate. Shabbos! Now the day of rest is crucial for recharging after a week of work. And even while dieting, it's not so bad to have a good filling meal. But there are some serious challenges to watch out for when it comes to Shabbos. It's obviously much easier when staying at home. But eating at friends or family can prove to be full of temptations. I don't know whoever said that you don't get fat from the food you eat on Shabbos, but I don't buy! This is the Kosher Keto guide to a Low Carb Shabbos.


1. The first difficulty with Shabbos is that you HAVE to eat bread (I don't know if some people get heterim to not eat bread, but I never asked), which is totally unthinkable for keto. But as an orthodox Jew, kiddush and hamotzei are a must. So the challenge is to just eat the bare minimum of challah. You should eat one kabeitza, which is about 1-2 slices depending on thickness. So just get that out of the way at the beginning of the meal (maybe even dip it in some guacamole dip, yum!) and then STOP! Just put the bread away.  Its still way too many carbs for a real keto diet, each slice is about 20 grams, so just keep in mind that two slices is already hitting your daily carb limit.

2. Now that that's out of the way, the next challenge is just all the rest of the food. If you're eating at home, then you can make your own keto friendly dishes. But often when eating at a friend's or family member's, you run into problems. If its someone you're very comfortable with, go ahead and ask that they make the meat dishes without sugar sauces or flour. Same thing with veggies or salad. Don't assume that all meats and vegetables are low carb. BBQ, teriyaki, and lots of other sauces and salad dressings are pretty much entirely sugar or HFCS. You want your salads and vegetables to be dressed with olive oil, vinegar, mustard, or mayonaise.

3. Another problem to watch out for with Shabbos meals is overeating. Just because everything you picked out is low carb (or mostly low carb) doesn't mean that you have to take seconds and thirds. Just because your mother insists you finish the pan, doesn't mean you have to. Eating low carb still requires a calorie deficit. And gorging on meat is not going to get you there. Even though there is tons of food on the table, you don't have to eat it all.

4. Dessert. Skip. End of Story. That's easy for me to say because I am anything but a sweet tooth. But honestly for pretty much any desserts not made by a ketoer, there will be sugar in it. If you are either at home, or can bring your own dessert made low carb, then go ahead. It's not really something I need at the end of meal so its not my biggest problem, but some people need their sweets. If that's the case, just remember why you're on this diet in the first place. Carbs = Bad.

5. The last problem I find when it comes to low carb diets in general while eating out with other people is that everyone has an opinion on dieting, nutrition, health, and especially low carb diets. I find it best not to tell everyone you are on keto, because then the arguments and the "health experts" start up. Just be nonchalant. "No thank you, I'm full." "Thanks, I'm doing great with what I've got here."

This is going to be my first Shabbos on the new diet. So wish me luck! And congratulations to everyone out there who is staying strong through Shabbos meals.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you! I’m a gentile who has decided to observe Shabbat and the kosher lifestyle, but I was wondering how to do keto and keep Shabbat. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me. On Shabbat, I take a slurp of juice and a nice chunk of Challah. NOT huge, I nibble through dinner. It IS Sabbath, I choose to enjoy, but, not over indulge.

      Delete
  2. Great post! thanks so much!
    So, ive been doing keto for 3 weeks and I'm almost at a conclusion that Keto isnt (Orthodox) Jew Friendly because of shabbat.

    However, with all things said and done, I loved your post. Although, you mentioned Ha'Motzei, but what about Kiddush? As the ba'al ha'bayiy im required to drink the majority of the cup (86 ml is it?) How do you propose we get around it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post! I am petite and get kicked out or almost out of keto if I eat more than 15 net grams....really difficult

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Sabbath observer who asked a very knowledgeable Rav about not consuming challah on Shabbat in order to improve memory. HE told me I didn't have to.
    He even joked that maybe he wouldn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay... Shabbat is one thing, but Pesach is quite another. The Matzoh we use for the dinners is 8% carbs, obviously zero sugars. In relations to many foods that is a bit high, but out challah carbs are 4% fibre and 5% sugars. I would think choosing Matzoh is a more keto-diet friendly alternative, but does it suffice for the blessings?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the numerous blogposts, We critically loved, I'd like information about this, because it is quite fantastic., Regards regarding indicating. keto food

    ReplyDelete